Thursday 21 June 2012

The Search For A Title


I mentioned in the last post the problems I was having with my title well, I felt I should elucidate a little on this.  When I created my chapter structure I had a very clear idea of what it was I was intending to write about –the writer and the legislative process! It was all nicely planned in my head; I had trial transcripts of various authors’ entanglements with the law and I was intent upon drawing connections between these transcripts and the contents of their novels but then I started writing and a much more interesting idea came to the fore and rather quickly stole the show, an examination of the expression of authorial attitudes towards legal Realism and legal Formalism.  I was rather smitten (and yes I know it’s sad to be smitten by a chapter idea but there it is) and I proceeded with an examination of how authors expressed their disdain or support for these ideologies in their work, specifically in their characterisation. 

I was chugging along swimmingly, the chapter is complete and I’m looking at my finished piece, very different to what I had started writing, but still operating under the same working title that I had given it 3 months ago and which now no longer fits.  I was struggling to come up with an idea and moaned my displeasure to facebook, looking for some indulgent sympathy rather than an answer.  I didn’t get my answer, although one person did offer genuine assistance, but my bad mood was considerably lightened by some of the mock answers I received:


  • "Law and The Victorian Novel A Time Traveler's Approach: Timey Wimeyness in the Judicial Process”

  • “Pride, Prejudice, and Cocaine: Regency drug law in operation” ‎

  • "Mr. Popular Sentience: The Borg and Dickens"

  • “People I know who would've been hanged by now and why”

  • "Formalist Legal Acquisitions and Brains: Propriety Rights and Legality in Pride Prejudice and Zombies"

  • “To kill a mocking bastard: Provocation law in the Deep South”

  • “War and my "piece”: Sex Crimes and Tolstoy”

  • “The Law's a Posterior - Legality and Victorian Gentility”

  • “Law Love A Duck - Cockneys and Illegal Animal Husbandry”

  • “Tyburn Tree - A history of deforestation in the greater Bangkok area”

  • “I shot the sheriff, but I swear it was in self defence - Pleas of diminished responsibility in the works of Bob Marley”

  • “I shot the sheriff, and they say it is a capital offence - Problems of ambiguity in the legal application of the death penalty in the works of Bob Marley”



I am not ashamed to say that I am tempted to actually attempt a conference paper on more than one of these!  Sex crimes and Tolstoy! There might be a nice little paper in there somewhere!  Anyway! I still have no thoughts as to my new title but I’m sure it will come!

No comments:

Post a Comment